« Home | Collapsing Time Frames » | Set It and Forget It » | Peace of Mind » | Positive’s short direct stack (from PU101) » | Retrospect on Rapport » 

Monday, April 24, 2006 

Learning Style - Simplified

1.) Attend all meetings and events.
2.) DON'T QUIT.

The events are a part of your applied education. Don't limit yourself to eBooks, CDs, and DVDs. These are all great ways to associate with your preferred mentors. Attendance also reinforces your association with the kind of person you want to be and the lifestyle you want to live. You can predict your income in 5 years if you average out the incomes of your five closest friends. Not enough dough? Well then, my friend, you're gonna have to build a new crew. This doesn't mean you have to get rid of the old crew, you're just gradually reducing limiting elements in your lifestyle and moving towards a more progressive one. By all means, keep in touch with your old buddies. You may even inspire them to get out of their ruts.

Don't ever stop learning.
I see it as a limiting belief when I hear about guys who think they've spent so much money and gone through a lot to learn so many things and wind up feeling like they need to throw this stuff away and start anew. Well I think that's somewhat true. Your learning reduces the friction you have to free flow. It's a fundamental principle of improvisation to learn EVERYTHING you can, and then when it's showtime, forget it it all!

I do this all the time in band practices and on stage. I've found that when I DO become overly conscious of what I'm doing to the point where my analytical mind gets in the way, my flow gets disrupted. Being AWARE of these things is enough, just don't let it run your game. Eventually you'll develop your own style of doing things, influenced by the greatest minds in the biz. Whether you like it or not, you're indebted to them for getting you out of your rut and helping you build a better life.

There WAS a time that I actually had to UNLEARN techniques of drumming to build a different style. Since then, I've been able to distinguish the differences between the techniques, and turn them on and off at will. This applies well to using the right styles at the right time. You might even call this natural game. As the guys of theApproach coin it, it's about going SitRel: Situationally Relevant. Calibrate for this. Do the right things at the right time. Now keep in mind, I'm still a baby when it comes to all this stuff. I'm just taking what I've learned over the years, transferring, and applying them to this arena.

Do, THEN think.
Go out and enjoy yourself everywhere you go. Make the most of it. Carpe diem! Then reflect on your experiences over the day or the week, and so on. It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it. You either learn, or you win.

One more thing about educating yourself: readers are leaders. I'm reminded of a quote from Brian Tracy that I can't quite remember. But it was something to the effect of reading a book a week. 50 books a year is a surefire shot to a successful life.

Pastiche

About me

  • I'm Pastiche
  • From Houston, Texas, United States
  • My mentality is all about POSITIONING. We choose to design a LIFESTYLE that serves our core values in Health, Wealth, and Love. The more we fine-tune this lifestyle, the closer we position ourselves towards our goals. By taking a macro, big-picture approach to life, you streamline and reduce the need to micro manage, and increase your capacity for enjoying the process. Less effort. More quality.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates